Essential Oils And Brain Injuries: Things to Know
Using essential oils in complementary medicine and aromatherapy has become very popular. The modern way of getting essential oils is through distillation and extraction from plants.
Extraction is usually used for citrus fruit oils, and it means pressing the fruit to release its oil. On the other hand, distillation is when plants are put in a still and steam is used to release the oils in form of vapor.
You can use essential oils on your skin, inhaled, or sometimes consumed. One of the most powerful essential oils is frankincense oil.
Breathing in Essential Oils
Besides having a specific scent, essential oils contain a lot of antioxidants and other properties. Inhaling essential oil through the nose sends signals into the brain through the olfactory bulb, so it stimulates many reactions in the limbic system and hippocampus.
Then, your body releases hormones depending on the messages delivered by the scent. This is faster than topical application. Essential oils have a deep impact on emotional health because they may trigger memories.
Essential oils are very similar in structure to hormones. Here are some essential oils and the effects they have:
- Rosemary – better memory and sharper focus.
- Terpenes in cannabis – treat infection, cancer, inflammation, pain, epilepsy, anxiety, and depression.
- Lavender – eases depression and anxiety.
- Marjoram, eucalyptus, and peppermint can help you ease a headache.
- Cypress and sage – ease depression and decrease stress.
- Peppermint – improves alertness, relieves congestion and nausea.
- Citrus oils – prevent cancer growth.
Terpenes give plants their fragrance. They have anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antifungal, and antioxidant properties. Smell receptors exist in the organs, skin, and many other fluids and tissues.
That is the reason why when you smell something you feel it with your entire body.
Treat Your Brain with Frankincense Oil
Breathing in essential oils can have an effect on brain’s activity. One of the best oils that treat your brain is frankincense oil. It is made from the bark of the tree.
This oil can do the following:
- It can make a difference between cancerous and healthy bladder cells and reduces the viability of abnormal cells.
- Treats lesions that are a result of atherosclerosis.
- Injected oil improves the cognitive function and learning abilities after damage caused by an epileptic seizure.
- Injected oil provides neuroprotective effects on lab animals after a stroke.
- Decreases cerebral swelling in post-radiation brain tumor patients.
- Treats some autoimmune conditions such as ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, and bronchial asthma.
According to one study from 2015, inhaled frankincense oil can treat a damaged brain after a stroke. Also, this oil has terpenes named sesquiterpenes that increase oxygenation and brain activity.
In addition, combined essential oils that involved frankincense oil were used to moderate ADHD behaviors in a group of kids from six to twelve years.
As you can see essential oils can be very helpful, but you need to keep in mind to use selected therapeutic grade oils. Ultrasonic diffusers are really good because they do not affect the quality of the oil.
And, remember that aromatherapy has not at all or maybe just a few side effects.
Disclaimer: RealPositiveExperience.com does not provide medical diagnosis, advice, or treatment. For more information, click here.